Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Annoyed? Disenchanted? Snotty? Not I!


What's On the Mind Agenda: Madeline Kahn, Dorothy Parker (left), and Vodka Tonics
Whats Not: Street sweepers, 19th Century Literature, and red wine.

Nothing much to say. Still putting up with school problems (ppwk, transcripts, financial aid foul ups, and a genneral lack of synchro watches). The only thing really worth mentioning is Dorothy Parker...an author I read about a year ago, then forgot about, then rediscovered again this week. While she wasnt terribly sucessful, I really dig how alot of her writing is so...i want to say "hateful," or "bitter," but thats not really what it is. Oh well, I leave for whoever cares to read these to decide. Corinne OUT.

One Perfect Rose
A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet --
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret:
`My fragile leaves,' it said, `his heart enclose'.
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

Coda
There's little in taking or giving,
There's little in water or wine;
This living, this living, this living
Was never a project of mine.
Oh, hard is the struggle, and sparse is
The gain of the one at the top,
For art is a form of catharsis,
And love is a permanent flop,
And work is the province of cattle,
And rest's for a clam in a shell,
So I'm thinking of throwing the battle ---
Would you kindly direct me to hell?
-Dorothy Parker

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe. I like the poems. I giggled. What year were they written?

8:28 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You havent posted in two months!! POST SOMETHING!!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home